We meet for dinner beforehand (at 5:00) at Angelo’s in the banquet room (ask for Eastside RWA). If you would like to join us for dinner, please email email@example.com by Monday, 5/8. For more information about dinner, see "Dinner Details" below.
Elizabeth Boyle - Hooks: Baiting Your Story to Catch a Reader
Tuesday, May 9, 2017, 7pm <<--dinner starts at 5 PM
Angelo's Restaurant, 1830 130th Ave NE, Bellevue, 98005, 425.883.2777
Hooks are not just that “I-can’t-believe-it” line at the end of the chapter and in this workshop we will examine a very non-traditional view of those “Aha!” moments in story that can be used to reveal, expand and entice a reader to keep turning every page. Participants will examine:
- The use of hooks from cover to cover: not just at the end of chapters but inside scenes, as a means for character revelations, and story movement.
- Mining theme, setting, and story plot for hooks: using all the elements of your story to find all the possible hooks
- What hooks can and shouldn't do.
- Plotting with hooks. Examining a story as a series of hooks.
- Writing to hooks. Using character hooks and deve lopment like story bread crumbs to lure a reader through your story
- How to extend the reach of your story hooks: back copy blurb, promo materials and query letters
Elizabeth Boyle's passions include her husband and two sons (or as she calls them, "her heroes in training"). In between the kids's activities, camping and gardening and trying to keep up on her ever-growing knitting pattern collection, she continues to write new and exciting romances.
We'd love to see you there! :)
- Do not feel obligated to buy dinner at the restaurant. However, since the restaurant is giving us the space for free, it would be nice of us to have dinner there when feasible (no pressure though; we know some folks don't have the time or have budgets to stick to).
- The restaurant can accommodate gluten-free or other special dietary requests; just ask the server.
- If you can't make it at 5:00 for dinner, you can still order dinner if you get there later; just please be there to place your order by 6:40ish so that we don't interrupt our speaker.
Eastside RWA President